Rev. Scott Carnes has a heart for God and an enthusiasm for people. Though you can find him at the church, he enjoys being out in the community and holds “out-of-the-” office hours so that people can more easily drop in and connect with him. You can also read his pastoral blog, here.
Scott felt a call to ministry when he was in college at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Speech Communications while at SIUC and went on to be on staff in two churches in youth and family ministries. While the Director of Student Ministries at First United Methodist Church in Green Bay (WI), he visited Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary (with some prodding) and, finally, went to seminary. He received a Master of Divinity from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary and after seven years of ministry as clergy, is pursuing a Doctor of Ministry in Preaching through the Association of Chicago Theological Schools.
Rev. Carnes met his wife, Rev. Carolyn Carnes, during his time at seminary. Carrie is the associate pastor at Belleville Union United Methodist Church and leads their new church start The Journey at Freeburg. Scott and Carrie are licensed foster parents and have two dogs, Jack and Charlie. They live in Collinsville with their two terriers.
Rev. Carnes on-line and in the news:
- News story by UMNS (reprinted in the IGRC Current).
- A Reflection by Dr. Lallene Rector, President of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
- See a video montage of news stories from his work in Green Bay, WI as a youth director.
- Learn more about Rev. Carnes on his personal website
- Go to “Finding My Way” the Personal Blog of Rev. Scott Carnes